Monday, June 13, 2011

Day 36

Lights, trim, action!   Lots of activity today.  More trim went up, the electricians came back to install lights and we chose the layout for the granite.  This picture shows the bookcase and how they trimmed out underneath. This was one of the places where the original plan had to be altered when the walls could not be moved.  We are going to spray paint the metal air return grate so that it blends in.  I think it came out nice.

















In the photo album there is a picture of the pendant lights that will be above the peninsula.  These are cylinders of onyx.  From the beginning I have wanted to make the glass for the pendant lights.  We looked and looked for a fixture that had the right kind of hardware to make changing out the glass easy.  This one will be perfect.  There are 3 long pins that go through holes in the onyx and screw into the hangy-down part (no, that is not what it's called but I am sure you know what I mean and if not you will just have to come out here and see for yourself or go to Lowe's and find the fixture on display there). 

Anyway, we saw this one and immediately knew it was the right design.  Then we noticed it used a halogen bulb and put it back on the shelf.  Those things get hot and could be a problem for any shade that was put together with copper foil or epoxy.   Fortunately, we found a website that sells LED bulbs the fit into the halogen socket.  Should be much cooler and cost efficient. They are supposed to last the equivalent of burning the light 8 hours a day for 14 years.  Now that my big kiln has power I am anxious to get started fusing a shade.  I'm thinking 3 pieces that will be attached together to form a cylinder.  Just wait it will be gorgeous.

When we were looking at the layout for the granite, we found a remnant from another slab at the fabricators for the powder room.  That way it won't look exactly like the kitchen.  It's very pretty with mica flecks that shimmer.  They will cut the granite today and install later this week.

It's really starting to come together now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment